[FILM ROUNDUP] Christmas viewings and an Anime live action

Christmas didn't necessarily involve eating a lot of turkey for me with relatives. I also managed to watch some Christmas/winter-inspired films and something far from Christmas.

Frozen, Polar Express, Beauty & The Beast live action plus Blade Of The Immortal live action feature very briefly.



Frozen: I know I'm late to the party. Just been lazy. Finally sat down to watch this since I was at someone's house and almost burst into song to Idina Menzel singing Elsa's Let It Go. Of course like the more fluffy Disney films it was fairytale-like with Anna falling in love so fast. Elsa was cool with her magic and Olaf is hilarious. Hans was suspiciously dashing but then I found out why later on.

Official trailer:-



Polar Express: I've always thought it was cool yet crazy how children's adventures often have them running around in their pyjamas - so long as they kept themselves warm. I do agree the animation looks a bit bizarre for many people's tastes but then overall I still think it was realistic. Look at Tom Hanks' characters for instance. He must have had a ton of fun voicing many characters for the film. If you believe in Christmas, maybe Santa will grant you your wish or give you the present you really want.

Trailer:-



I also conveniently forgot Josh Groban sang Believe as well, as shown in the credits at the end. Check it out here.

Beauty & The Beast: As a long-term fan of the original Disney I thought why not just see what was different and where the gay is? Shamefully, I still remembered some of the lyrics to the classic songs and nostalgia hit me quite a bit (alongside this, Aladdin was on repeat for me during my younger years). I actually enjoyed the extra bits to the story and the extra songs to go with the plot. There was more room to expand the characters that were not justified. I think Gaston was hideously slimy to great effect. Le Fou having secret feelings for his friend but not receiving the same response and then eventually giving him up. I liked how he had more layers to his character as he was reluctant with Gaston's actions.

Emma Watson does fit Belle though it seems she's still so Hermione as well. It's hard to shake that Harry Potter character portrayal off. Dan Stevens brought out Beast's angst and anger to great effect and I forgot that Dan Stevens had very blue eyes (you know how Beast had these intense eyes in the original Disney film so it worked in the live action). The casting was decent and I never knew there were so many famous people voicing the Beast's servants and it didn't cross my mind Kevin Kline was Maurice. I honestly went into this film not knowing anything after skimming trailers quickly back when the film was originally released.

Trailer:-



Another Josh Groban singing part of the OST for a film moment that I forgot! He graced his voice for Evermore that was sung by Dan Stevens as Beast in the film.

Blade Of The Immortal: I wasn't going to watch Mugen No Junin originally because I had never read the Manga properly (some rape and gore put me off from the little bits I read in the library and I drifted). I just binged on the Anime recently and to summarise it needs to be continued in order to flow with the Manga since that has now finished and the live action film had been released in 2017. It seems the live action added some of the Manga chapters that the Anime didn't cover. I may feel inclined to go to the Manga after this despite how much I'm behind with a lot of other Anime and Manga series. I also decided to watch the live action film because it has been a very long time since I looked at Kimura Takuya, let alone touched anything Japanese media-related. Also I was curious from watching little clips of the fight scenes.

Samurai flicks and KimuTaku who I barely recognised on the posters while on the way to work - well count me in. Of course die-hard fans of the Anime and the Manga will have a lot more to criticise since you cannot possibly digest 30+ volumes and/or a 13 episode into 2-3 hours worth of film. Apart from flaws in the character development and story flow, I thought the whole look was rather fantastic i.e. the fight scenes looked with the outrageous blood and gore alongside the music score, as well as the overall cinematography and costume design. Some characters were underused here or weren't given enough background story. It was like squeeze what you can in a short amount of time. Kimura Takuya looked utterly BAMF though. Miyavi's ending theme song was also very good.

UK trailer is below:-

Comments