[MUSIC ROUNDUP] JJ Project, Kris Wu Yifan, MONSTA X, The Rose

More MONSTA X but there is also JJ Project and Kris Wu Yifan.



6 - Kris Wu Yifan



To coincide with appearing as a producer, judge and mentor on "The Rap of China" which is the Chinese equivalent of Korea's rap competition "Show Me The Money", Wu Yifan released a new EP titled '6' near the end of July. The EP contains Juice, 6 and Lullaby. The word "6" is a slang for awesome in Chinese. Starting the song with a little of July's lyrics, Wu Yifan moves into deep rapping of Chinese with the odd English sentence. This song was produced by his long-term friend and former SM trainee Kevin Shin. The song is a dip into hip-hop territory and WYF is trying to introduce the world to Chinese rappers and hip-hoppers. Lullaby finally gets an official track on the EP and was originally a demo that Kevin and Yifan worked on together. It's nice to see it included on the EP because it was something that touched me back in its early stages.

Tomorrow, Today - JJ Project



JJ Project make a comeback after five years and delight their fans with a soothing, calming, contemplative mini album. The title song "Tomorrow Today" is about decisions, whether to choose this path or that path. It makes me question what to do with myself. What big mind-blowing decision do I make when I wake up tomorrow for a normal day of work for instance? The MV is another roadtrip type of clip and yes I'd like to be on a holiday with Jinyoung and Jaebum too. The colours in the video are not over the top. It's relaxing and comfortable for the viewer. The mini album overall is wonderfully thoughtful. Icarus is possibly my other favourite song with its ethereal beat, making you feel like you are in the sky and flying.

Beautiful [JPN version] - MONSTA X



I admit, this is my favourite song from their latest comeback this year. Stunning aesthetics still carry on in this Japanese version just like it did in the Korean MV. It also doesn't sound as awkward in the Japanese language. In fact I managed to hear snippets of MX's other songs in Japanese and they sounded fine too.

Sorry - The Rose



This came up as a recommendation when I signed into my Youtube account and I was very surprised with what I heard. I don't dabble in Korean indie or Korean indie rock as much as metal, alternative rock or even pop rock when my mood sways towards those genres but I got curious and was not let down. The vocalist has such a strong, raspy voice that hits you the moment the song starts. You feel the emotion strike you in its core. The song is about a break-up and the guys are saying sorry. This is definitely a band to keep an eye on.

Comments