[Cafe Review] Yaki Bakery

I first came across this little cafe in Goodge Street after seeing it mentioned in a Time Out email and decided to pay a visit to see what food was on offer.



There is a special lunch deal where you can buy an Okonomiyaki with a salad and cold drink for £5.95. Iced Green Tea Latte - why not? For my first visit I went with a chicken teriyaki burger which was presented in soft rice buns with lettuce and chicken in teriyaki sauce. The rice buns were not grilled and incredibly soft so the bun shape easily broke as it was softened by the sauce and my violent grip on the food.

Yaki Bakery wrapping and general presentation was fantastic and clean. Even has cute colour schemes in my opinion.

The chicken teriyaki burger which cost me £3.50 approximately. This cafe does not lie when it says the food they serve is ideal for a light lunch and if you are on the go.

Green tea with chicken teriyaki burger. Scrumptious.

The hot drinks are available in the fridge. Tea bags are in empty take away cups and you just pass one cup to the member of staff for them to fill hot water inside. As well as Okonomiyaki and rice burgers, you can also order don bowls. Beef don, Katsu Curry Don and much more. Everything has been prepared in a plastic bowl and all the staff need to do is fill it up for you if you request them to do so. Since I was still a little hungry after my chicken teriyaki burger, I decided to go for a 'dessert' snack. Tai Yaki seemed interesting so I paid £1.99 for one Tai Yaki with ham and cheese.

Tai Yaki with ham and cheese filling can be seen below. You could think of it as a toastie but then at the same time it tastes like a waffle, which would make sense since Tai Yaki is made from waffle or pancake batter.

So is this place worth a visit? Absolutely. The Japanese staff are friendly, polite and speak very good English. They're happy to help you with any food questions and always greet customers when they arrive or finish their meals. I definitely want to come back and try one of the Okonomiyaki.

Official website is here


Comments