[Film Review] Ranma 1/2 Live Action

I didn't finish the Anime and haven't read the Manga but from what I have gathered in watching this...

{there will be spoilers from the live action and the Anime}



Only a few characters are in this live action but I liked the alternative take on the series. Plus, there were no other fiancees wrecking havoc. Unless the writers decide to do a sequel, which would bother me since the film was nice as it was. That means you'll get Shampoo who imho represents the kind of Chinese girl men would fall for in terms of sexiness. In other words a Shu Qi or Zhang Ziyi.

OK now for the film itself - as I said I rather liked it. I couldn't stop laughing over how cracktastic the villain was. For one, he wants to use the hot spring to create a world of men. No drag queens?! His minions are a gay man's wet dream. I suspected he was the Vice Principal Okamada. That man was just too awkward to take seriously. I do wonder if the actor is out or just happy to get all feminine for the sake of the role.

I think most of the characters were spot on in terms of casting. Only one I'm not sure about was Nabiki. She still had the 'I'll help you but you gotta pay me' attitude but I was not used to her as quite a glamour puss. Unless it shows later on in the Anime or Manga then I can't remember. Guy!Ranma was too skinny for my liking but kept the brash, cockiness Ranma had (wow he was Arashi in ParaKiss live action - so that's why I recognised him). I give extra kudos to Ranma-chan. She was good. I don't know if they made her wear a padded bra or if they stuffed a lot of tissue underneath but it was to emphasize how much bigger her bust was compared to poor Akane.

I really like Aragaki Yui as Akane. My favourite girl from Ranma gets a decent actress. Thank god the amount of 'tsundere' trait that fandom tends to overdo when they write Akane in fics was not as bad. Sure she's still aggressive, fights the guys who want to date her (to the boys challenging her, listen up she is NOT interested in you) but I appreciated how the live action focused more on her emotions, her feelings. Proving she's a human like all of us and not some psycho bitch who whacks anything in her way. The girl has family issues. She's not a blatant klutz that lots of heroines are and what most people find endearing. She tries to physically fight back when she can and doesn't want to keep relying on too many people like Ranma to help her out.

Tofu-sensei looked way too much like Bae Yong Joon. I couldn't stop laughing. Also couldn't stop laughing over how dramatic Kunou Tatewaki was sometimes. He was nowhere near the level that Anime!Kuno-Sempai is but still entertaining enough. He might be my favourite character next to Mousse. Nobody takes him seriously in fandom (he should tbh. Can see some potential story for him if the right writer came along). He is clueless when it comes to Ranma-kun being Ranma-chan but I liked how he knew how Akane felt when her hair was cut off. Something Ranma didn't pick up right away.

Comments