[DRAMA REVIEW] My Demon (2023/2024)


My Demon is a comedy romance starring Song Kang and Kim Yoo Jung.

Do Dohee (Kim Yoo Jung) is an heiress who prioritises work over romance, showing little interest in the latter which makes her unapproachable.  Since a young age, she has been under the care of Mirae's Chairwoman Ju Cheon Suk (Kim Hae Sook) who pressures her to go on blind dates.  One particular blind date introduces Dohee to Sunwol Foundation's Director Jeong Guwon (Song Kang).  

What Dohee does not realise at the beginning is that Jeong Guwon is a 200 year old demon who makes deals with humans and sends their souls to Hell after their contract expires a decade later.  A chance encounter after the blind date leads him to her when she is in danger and while he tries to help her, his powers falter along with the tattoo that was on his wrist.   

After some failed attempts in trying to get the tattoo and his powers transferred back to him, Guwon agrees to work with Dohee to try to find a way to return to normality but also acts as her bodyguard/companion in public while dealing with Madame Ju's family.   Throughout the series, the main duo clash and try to decipher one another's characteristics while on a marriage contract, which leads to unexpected emotions being revealed and many more secrets of the past.


GENERAL THOUGHTS *SOME SPOILERS BELOW*

I was not entirely convinced by the main couple's chemistry in the earlier episodes.  Perhaps it's the writing and directing, I'm not sure.  But I would say the lovey-dovey aspect won me over when it finally bloomed.  I can't comment on the actors' acting in general since this is the first time I've seen them in action.

Kim Yoo Jung is rather sweet-looking and pulls off attire I would never wear.  Song Kang as people have said is visually pleasing and I will check out his other works.  I have another drama in mind but will probably read the original webtoon for that first when I have a moment.

The main message I gather from the couple is that of course you will argue a lot in the relationship but you will still love each other no matter what.   There is still a happy ending even though we all know that their relationship will not last if Dohee ages naturally.  

The history between the families, Dohee and Guwon makes the series have some nail-biting moments near the end.  I did suspect the main couple's connection was from the past, which would explain how things turned out the way they were in the first episode but going further along in the drama when Dohee finds out what happened to her parents in the car accident - that only makes the story more devastating and creating a stronger emotional breakdown with the characters.  

The finale had the eventual happy ending which made me flutter a little, as did a large chunk of the romantic scenes but I felt it was too rushed and disappointing with how things wrapped up.  I note people are saying My Demon copied Goblin which I have not watched yet so I can't comment on that.    I appreciated the happy ending however felt its execution in the last episode could have added more punch.  

If there is anything I am curious about, it's how Suk-Min survived his fall...or did he not fall from the rooftop at all? I may need to re-watch the episodes.  It would have been cool to see some supernatural element slip in there and have him become a demon or another creature so he could battle Guwon.   

My Demon's music was lovely.  Like many drama OST, the music reflects the varying moods throughout the series.  The main opening theme "True" is sung by Yoari whose vocals were featured on Secret Garden.  I also love Roy Kim's Whenever, Wherever .

As for the supporting cast...

Jeong Guwon's staff - Jin Gayoung was almost very one-dimensional with the endless jealousy towards Dohee, until her past was brought up and how she met Guwon.  Unrequited love from a young age but she of course is grateful that he helped her.   Park Bok Gyu (the name puns were hilarious!) was entertaining when opposite Guwon.

Dohee's staff - Secretary Ms Shin worked for Madame Ju for many years and then started to assist Dohee instead.  She's cold and serious about her job but lets loose later on when she interacts with Park Bok Gyu.  The marketing team would be colleagues I would possibly enjoy and be entertained by while working.

The Korean gangsters who went from Wild Dogs to Perilla Seeds and Scallions.  A major rebrand with a good heart.  They were incredibly loyal once they saw how ruthless Guwon could be.  

Madame Ju's family - The only 'nice guy' at the start is Ju Seokhoon.  He's unfortunately got the second male lead syndrome when it comes to Dohee.  Noh Sukmin had that villainous edge in the making.  His son Do-gyeong suffered and pretty much became psychotic like his father no thanks to the wrath and violence.  His mother Kim Sera turned a blind eye which is not good.  Sukmin's younger sister Su-Ahn was dramatic and the Francophilia cringeworthy.  

Overall, My Demon delivers with the different emotions where appropriate but it takes some patience.  I nearly gave up on this drama but persevered once the quarrels between Dohee and Guwon subsided.

Trailer for My Demon

*the Tango scene was one of my favourite scenes in this drama*