[MUSIC ROUNDUP] MONSTA X, Coldplay and Bangtan Boys

Coldplay and BTS collaborated on a song which is featured on Coldplay's next album which is scheduled for release in October.


When news surfaced on SNS that Coldplay would be recording a song with BTS, I was half-worried and half-curious.  After listening to Butter, Dynamite and Permission To Dance, I wondered if this was going to be another English single that was very radio friendly.  

I've been a casual listener of Coldplay's music from their earlier works (Clocks is one of my favourite tracks) and I know many idols aside from Bangtan really like their music, covering Yellow and Fix You to name examples.  

After listening to My Universe I can safely say this song works.  Coldplay sung in English and I was caught off guard with Jungkook starting his part and singing in Korean.  I had forgotten how Jeon Jungkook's voice could often make me melt.  My only struggle though was trying to differentiate some of the singing parts between Vocal Line.  Jimin and Seokjin were tricky to pick out, especially the eldest member.  What a shame.  But grateful each member got some lines in the song.  

This is how I would like to see a collaboration laid out.  Not necessarily bowing down and selling out to the West.  This is a sound that I think suits Bangtan and I like the message that's expressed in the song.  Good job to both bands.

I really hope we get a Korean comeback soon...





On the subject of English language singles, even MONSTA X released a new song called "One Day." Shownu is still here.  I imagine the video and song was recorded a while ago prior to him enlisting in the military.  What an angsty song.  But I always liked hearing Jooheon sing as well as rap so I guess these English songs are giving him plenty of opportunities.