[SONG REVIEW] BTS - Butter

Bangtan return with a new English language single named Butter.

In all honesty, Butter is *almost* like Dynamite part 2 with the beats but perhaps a little more enjoyable.  The lyrics are nothing groundbreaking and it's so radio-friendly for the West which I am assuming is the intention, though it is teetering on a bit of Western POV stereotyping of boy groups (and Asian male).    

In terms of song, Butter is a tad more my style compared to Dynamite and there is less playing around with the vocals using autotuning and whatnot.  "Smooth like butter" why yes Jungkook I agree all seven of you are looking smooth and cool here (I'm still processing Jungkook and Jimin's hair colours).  Rapper Line didn't get many lines in Butter, yet Seokjin though he struck lucky.  He barely gets lines in in general but he got a little more than usual in this song.

I will say I liked how the fandom got a mention and how the guys formed the word ARMY using their bodies.  I had to screencap that because it was rather cute.


In the beginning of April, Bangtan released a Japanese single "Film Out" which was slower and not a party tune at all compared to Butter and Dynamite.  The song is more angsty and heartbreaking.  It's also part of the group's next Japanese album that is due for release in the summer.

It seems Seokjin is the protagonist in this video and not in the same room as the other members.  You know it's him around the 0:58 mark from his broad shoulders as he walks to the window and sees his fellow band mates. Two different universes perhaps...?! 



I am suddenly missing the earlier songs by Bangtan and their Hwa Yang Yeon Hwa trilogy.  Or just their more thoughtful, meaningful songs in general.  Perhaps my angsty heart needs some comfort.  Who knows?