[MUSIC REVIEW] PENTAGON + SixTONES

Pentagon mark their latest comeback with a title song to promote their first full length album Universe: The Black Hall.



Pentagon hit a darker tone in their new comeback song and wow colour me surprised. It's quite a treat. Insanity, mental asylums and needing help from the doctor. It's all in the mind apparently if you watch the MV to the end.

Universes brace yourselves with the fierce choreography, the occasional sight of abs (hello Hongseok) and the vocalists just belting out the high notes in the chorus (thank you Jinho). A charismatic Kino in the centre and perfectly expressing embracing the insanity whilst Rap Line deliver the goods when it's their turn in the song.



Performance MV was just realised a few hours as I type this blog post. I wonder if the group will score a win on the music shows with this song. Good luck, Pentagon.



Random music discovery I haven't listened to J-music properly in a very long time, I confess. So when Yoshiki shared a link to an article mentioning he had composed and produced a song for a boy group I decided to have a look.

I was introduced to SixTONES through their official debut song Imitation Rain and I admit I haven't really gone down the route of Jpop boy groups (was so deep in the world of Jrock/J-metal land at the time) but I had a moment of being 'clickbaited' thanks to Hayashi Yoshiki. This was how I got into Korean rock band TRAX back in 2004/2005. Ah, nostalgia.

Imitation Rain most certainly has that Yoshiki / X Japan sound that lightly lands on commercial / radio friendly pop rock style. I'm thinking of Rusty Nail and Jade here. Since I'm a sap I also enjoy the lyrics (it's just so Yoshiki!). Plus, the moves which match the piano parts of the song are quite cool - I'm a sucker for that kind of choreography in performances.

I still have my concerns as a fan, as do long term non-Japanese fans from all over the world who lurk on the fan boards and are just waiting (im)patiently for the overdue album or any new, decent music for that matter. But spotting this little charm of a song I have to say it was a surprise.

Check out the MV below:-

Comments