[ALBUM REVIEW] Take Part 1: Are You There? - MONSTA X


MONSTA X release their second full-length album 'Are You There?' Does it follow up well from the previous mini album The Connect?



Intro: Are You There? A one minute instrumental to warm the music listener up for the album

Underwater Frozen when their SO says it's the end of the road for their relationship, the guys feel themselves drowning. Unable to stop loving their other half and forget about them. The song in general is a really tender tune (the chorus by Kihyun makes me melt) but then it goes boom as soon as Rapper Line take over which throws me off a bit like a sudden jolt.

Shoot Out The title track for the group's comeback and boy I did not expect it to sound like this [here's a link to mv] . The guitar riff made me clutch my heart as I watched the MV and the first moves in the choreography where the group move to the vibration of the opening intro. When a song randomly churns some metal or rock with the power of a guitar riff it often catches me by surprise and inevitably my inner metalhead approves. I had to breathe after listening to this song because it was ferocious. Shoot Out would make a perfect workout song as it has that motivational beat about trying to find someone (take it however you want) and not giving up, even if you hurt yourself.

Heart Attack An attack to the heart why yes MONSTA X you certainly have done that to me since 2016. One of the lighter songs on this album, a little lighter and perhaps a breather from recovering over the likes of Shoot Out.

I Do Love You Another soft song follows Heart Attack. Monbebe can't rest. Bless MONSTA X for bringing out their sweeter side in I Do Love You, confessing their feelings to their special person/friend.

Mohae Composed by Im Changkyun, this is a song on wanting your SO and accepting all the flaws and feelings. Jooheon says he's our birthday cake well okay can't refuse that. I am happy with the Vocal Line distributions here. There's equal love for Shownu, Wonho, Minhyuk, Kihyun and Hyungwon.

Oh My! Here we have a party track. This will be good for their concerts for sure and that nod to Chae Hyungwon the DJ "H.ONE" I see you. Let loose and let yourself go. The chorus "Oh my oh my oh my" is catchy! This may be the next Fallin' to get the Monbebe hyped.

Myself This is quite ethereal. Something MONSTA X haven't really experimented much with their previous works and it sounds great, very dreamlike. You could put this as a background song to an angsty scene in a drama.

By My Side Reminds me a little of I'll Be There from the Beautiful album. It's really sweet and whoever these future other halves will be of MONSTA X, you will be blessed if you stay by their side despite their past (whatever happened to them, whatever those mistakes were). The appreciation of learning to love yourself thanks to the special person is heart-warming.

Spotlight [Korean version] A Japanese single from a few months ago, Spotlight in the group's native language finishes the album honourably. As mentioned in my previous review for the song, Spotlight definitely has the follow-up vibe to Trespass. MONSTA X telling you to shine that on them only, perhaps a message for the Monbebe specifically.

Overall

Are You There? is a strong release with some great tunes and you can tell MONSTA X are exploring different sounds in some of their tracks here. I enjoyed Myself, Underwater and Heart Attack the most. Yet Shoot Out's choreography and that beastly guitar riff are stuck in my head. Check out a fancam of their first comeback stage.

Will this be another mini series going from the name of the album "Take 1?" We'll have to wait and see.

Comments