[SONG REVIEW] Gangsta - NOIR

Noir are a new boy group under Luk Factory and consist of previous Produce 101 contestants, a member from a disbanded group and other new idols who have just debuted for the first time as idols. So what's their debut track like?





Noir's debut song "Gangsta" took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting it to hit me quite hard in terms of instrumental but it's rather fierce and I won't lie it's been on repeat. The MV has a classic storyline where the shy girl with glasses does not get picked to be the Prom Queen but then eventually comes out as the winner as soon as the guys notice her. With confidence she then removes her glasses, revealing a pretty side. It's a little irksome seeing the stereotype of when you remove your glasses, suddenly everyone finds you attractive and you start to wear contact lens instead. What's wrong with being bespectacled? Yes ok it might get in your way with some activities and there is the old-fashioned bullying tactic of calling someone four-eyed...but half my favourite bad guys look fabulous with glasses. I digress, that is another topic for another day.

As for the lyrics themselves - there will be an ongoing debate on why the group is called black in French and whether they're actually singing about being cool, hardcore 'gangstas' minus the blatant hip-hop trope/cultural appropriation etc. That's up to the listener I'd say. Unless they're trying to aim for a gangster in the mafia sense maybe...?!

I don't mind the song (yes it's about being tough and saying a girl shouldn't be afraid of their 'gangsta' man kind of who will protect her) and the choreography is eye-catching. This makes me see this group has potential if they keep it up.

This is only a debut so I can't judge yet and I don't know a thing about any of the members, aside from recognising one or two of the previous Produce 101 people (I still haven't watched every single episode, only a few performances that caught my interest). Let's see what they can do first shall we? I did enjoy their mini album nonetheless and the opening melody for "In Between" was used in the Gangsta MV. Vocals and rap seem good to me - do check out the last track "Become A Star."

Comments