[SONG REVIEW] Mic Drop (Steve Aoki remix) - Bangtan Boys

Bangtan recently visited USA after being invited to the likes of Ellen, Late Late Show and this year's AMAs as well as a lot of US radio shows. With a growing popularity and expanding network with American artists, in comes a remix of Mic Drop from their latest album Love Yourself.





The Steve Aoki remix of Mic Drop doesn't completely transform the original song's beat. It added some extra effects to make it sound funkier overall. The guys sound a lot more autotuned which may not be everyone's cup of tea. Another thing I didn't notice at first because I'm a slowpoke was how some of the lines were changed to English. It does flow rather well though, including Namjoon's rap.

Visually, the MV is a feast (okay Namjoon's hair is likely to irk a few people but take what you will of it). Everyone looks great and there are a lot of zoom ups of their face which make me clutch my soul over the surreal appearance. The choreography is as always incredibly fierce, as demonstrated on the live stages during the group's comeback. I prefer the original but the Steve Aoki remix is a definite grower for me. Can't deny however that Mic Drop is another hype song that I would add if I need to create a BTS playlist to motivate myself.

Now the version with Desiigner takes out Yoongi and J-Hope's rap parts in the beginning of the song. Some ARMYs have said they feel Desiigner's rapping does not go well with the song and the lyrics he uses don't mesh. I don't follow hip-hop so I can't say anything too detailed but I'm not too fussed. Judging by what fans of Desiigner say that's his style and yes even Bangtan has cursed in Korean and English in previous songs. Regardless of whether you are a fan of the song, you have a choice of what version to listen to between the original, the remix and the second remix with Desiigner.

I do feel the Mic Drop remix and DNA are Bangtan's introductions to the American audience and I've seen new fans surface after the AMAs and interviews (good and bad ones, even specific media sites who are hideously trolling - you can research it) . Hopefully those who enjoyed seeing and hearing what they heard for the first time will then backtrack to Bangtan's earlier discography to see what the boys have done since debuting in 2013.

Comments